Pages

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Spooky Halloween Letters

Hello Doodles & Doilies friends! My name is Cheryl and I live over at


That’s What {Che} Said…


I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, but recently decided on a career change and now I am a Work at Home Mom. I dabble in a bit of everything from crafting, to cooking, to photography, to just plain ranting! You never know what you will get when you stop by my blog! My door is always open so come by anytime!


Erica was sweet enough to have me over today to her wonderful blog to show you how you can make your own “Spooky Halloween Letters”. So let’s get to it!


IMG_9320


Decorating with words and large freestanding letters is all the rage these days, however sometimes buying them in stores can get quite pricey! We can make our own for a fraction of the cost, with a little patience and planning! Utilizing coupons and your craft store sales can pay off big!



Items Needed:




  • large letters


  • Halloween scrapbooking paper


  • modgepodge


  • paintbrush


  • exacto knife



  • paint or spray paint (not pictured)


IMG_9296


This tutorial is very flexible and can be adapted to whatever supplies you are able to find. I found these great unfinished paper mache letters that were $2.47 each marked 50% off at Hobby Lobby. You can also use wooden or foam or plastic. Which ever you choose, just be sure the front has a flat edge. I also found this great Halloween scrapbook paper and bought it by the sheet. It was $0.59/sheet also marked 50% off. I used two sheets of paper because my letters were large. If your letters are smaller you can see if they can fit on one sheet.


Next, using black spray paint, I sprayed the sides of the letters. The backs will not show and you will cover the front with paper so only the sides are important here! You can also use acrylic paint and any color that coordinates with your scrap book paper. I just love the ease of spray paint and I had a can of black on hand!


IMG_9307


Once the sides of my letters were dried, working one letter at a time I began covering the front of the letter in modgepodge. You don’t have to be pretty in doing this.


IMG_9309


Once the entire front is covered, press the glued side of the letter onto the backside of your scrapbooking paper like so. I utilized the corner and two straight edges when positioning my letter.


IMG_9310 IMG_9311



Repeat for remaining letters.


IMG_9313 IMG_9314


Let them rest/dry for about 10 minutes before starting the next step.


Using your exacto knife, carefully cut the scrapbooking paper along the edges of your letter.


IMG_9315


Next cover the entire front of the scrapbooking paper with another coat of modgepodge. Be sure to coat the edges very well so that your paper does not peel off. Modgepodge will dry clear so again you don’t have to be neat!


IMG_9317


Let dry and Wah-Lah! You have a cute little Halloween word in free standing letters for under $5!


IMG_9341


IMG_9338


If you like those little witch hats next to my letters, you can find out how I made those {here} !



Thanks again to Erica for having me!


I hope to see you all again soon! Feel free to stop over anytime, my door is always open!


And That’s What Che Said…

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is very impressive and have the useful information it is really caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...